Övedskloster has, in various forms, been around for about 900 years. The original buildings were founded by Archbishop Eskil of Lund in the 12th-century and dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The monks who first settled in Öved came from Premontré in France.
Relatively little is known about the Holy Trinity unit's monastery and the monks who lived there. Judging from the many farms and the land that eventually came to belong to the monastery, it seems as if it was prosperous. The old monastery stood where today's castle is now located.
Unfortunately, no visible parts of the monastery are preserved today and there are not very many images of what it looked like. One of the few that exist, however, the copper depicted on the left and that is part of a drawing from the 1680s.
- Copper of the old monastery
The Reformation in Denmark took place in 1536, and since southern Sweden was still Danish, the Holy Trinity unit's monasteries were dissolved. The property, which then amounted to 113 farms, was confiscated by the Danish crown, and used as collateral when the kings borrowed from the rich nobility.
When Christian IV decided to build the fortifications that would eventually become the city of Kristianstad he traded off Övedskloster for land at Allö in Helge-river. The trade was carried out in 1614 between Christian IV and Otto Lindenov and meant that Övedskloster, for the first time, came into private ownership. In 1666 the property was purchased by the Field Marshal Carl Mauritz Lewenhaupt.
Carl Mauritz Lewenhaupt died the same year and left Övedskloster to his two sons, Carl Gustaf and Sten Casimir. Both of them, however, left for foreign service and would never come to inhabit Övedskloster. Sten Casimir died in Dalmatia and Carl Gustaf in Saxony. The latter was married to Countess Amalia Wilhelmina von Königsmarck, sister of the famous Aurora. Amalia and Carl Gustaf's son, Charles Emil, eventually took over the estate, with a promising military career ahead of him.
But after Charles Emil, as a Field Marshal, led the unsuccessful war against Russia, he became the scapegoat and sentenced to loss of life, honor and property. He was beheaded in Stockholm in 1743 and buried in Öved church. Even before this happened, his son and heir, Adam Lewenhaupt, had gone into French service. He therefore sold Övedskloster to his brother in law in 1753. The brother in law was named Colonel Hans Ramel and married to Amalia Beata Lewenhaupt.
- Amalia-Beata Lewenhaupt
Hans Ramel used money he inherited from his father, Malte Ramel, to demolished the existing buildings and to build a new castle in the typical 1700's style. Hans Ramel, who was the only son, had not only inherited money from his father. He was also the owner of Maltesholm, Hviderup, Västerstad, Svansjö and Tullesbo. Because of his many construction projects on these farms he was called "Hans the builder" by his contemporaries.
In 1763 Hans began the rebuilding of Övedskloster – the construction would last for 13 years. The plans were made by Baron Carl Hårleman, one of the Swedish Rococo’s greatest architects. Hårleman had passed away, however once the rebuilding started and the execution was handed over to, also well-known, Jean Eric Rehn.
The new castle was completed in 1776. Hans Ramel wrote in his will that Övedskloster should be an entailed estate, which meant that the castle could not be sold and that it would be inherited in its entirety from father to eldest son. When Hans the builder died in 1799, his son became the first holder of this. The current holder is the tenth in the series, and he also named Hans Ramel.
- Hans "the builder" Ramel
- Carl Hårleman
- Jean-Eric Rehn